EasyUI Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The JavaScript Trap  (Read 8030 times)
mncarbone

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:53:26 AM »

I recently read this page by Richard Stallman, creator of the GNU project, the GPL Licence,  and the Free Software philosophy:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

He talks about to use obfuscated javascript without publishing the source code, and confirm that the compacted code (he calls it "Obfuscript") is not source code. An obfuscated program it's not free software, because it's not the real source that the programers develops. It require a "compilation" (obfuscation) and it is not human readable, near to the level of a binary compiled program.

So, if I decided to release my software under GPL, I must use GPL licenced (or compatible) libraries (just like this EasyUI), I have to release the full real source code unobfuscated to be GPL compatible.

In other words, I think you are in mistake: You can't release obfuscated code under "GPL v3" in your "GPL Edition", because GPL means Free Software (plus GPL v3 means "unclosable" software) and obfuscated code is not free software.

And worst: you can not release the source code only under the proprietary licenced "Commercial Edition": You cant force developers that want to release free software to "pay-per-view" the source code without the posibility of publishing it.

Check the philosophy of MySQL: they have a "Community(GPL) Edition" and an "Enterprise Edition". I can access the full souce code of MySQL Community Edition (if not, it can't be called "GPL Edition"). The "Enterprise Edition" offers other features, but not the source code of MySQL.

I hope you thik about this, I need to take a decision to choose a library for my GPL projects and this is a trouble for me.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:42:37 AM by mncarbone » Logged
mncarbone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »

Please read this article, about how to release Free JavaScript software:

http://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html

I think You must free your JavaScript. Check that your "Easyui - GPL Edition" is not really GPL. You make us fall into The Trap!

Sorry, if I look like a troll. I am a free software developer that uses your excellent library. But I will have to abandon it, because my apps will not be really free, until you release the real source code of GPL edition.

Please think about it.

Thanks!
mncarbone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »

¿Any comment about this?
¿Any other developer is affected?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:55:23 PM by mncarbone » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: